Friday, February 4, 2011

I Plan To Make This Today!

I have never made this... yet. But that will change tonight. My mom makes this recipe all the time, and she just sent me it today. She bought me a pressure cooker last year, and I have yet to use it... so not only is the recipe new to me, but the whole cooking method. Needless to say I am not very hopeful about it turning out great right away, but I will definitely try.
From what I remember it is very delicious... However, I should warn you guys: it goes great w/ bread/bread sticks or dinner rolls... so if you decide to try dipping some bread in it, it may not be as waistline friendly as it looks, because bread is something I can't control myself with.
Either way, try it anyway you like... and let me know what you think.

Cabbage and Pork

2 lbs Cabbage
1.5 lbs Pork Fillet
1 Tbsp Salt (divided)
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 Cup Water
14.5 oz can of Diced/Crushed Tomatoes
1-2 tsp oil (Sunflower... but I will probably use Canola today)

Cut the cabbage in cubes - I usually half it, and then cut strips - about 1 inch thick, then cut across 1 inch thick again.
Put the cabbage in a big bowl and add 1/2 Tbsp salt to it, and 1 Tbsp of paprika. Here's the secret - crunch the cabbage through with your hands - as if kneading dough... make sure you squeeze it through pretty hard - salting it. It should get kinda wet-ish. Add the diced/crushed can of tomatoes - I prefer crushed, but when I don't have that on hand I use my magic bullet to crush the diced myself. Mix the tomatoes in with the cabbage well.
Cut the pork fillets into 1 inch strips, throw them in the pressure cooker, add the oil over them and the rest of the salt (1/2Tbsp). Cover with the cabbage and tomato mix and 1 cup of water.
Cook on medium heat until the pressure cooker 'whistles' (I have never used one, nor do I know if that is the right term to use here.. but that is how my mom described it to me). Once it 'whistles' turn the heat to low, and let cook for about 1.5 hrs.
Carefully let the steam out of the pressure cooker, make sure it is all out, and carefully unlatch the top. Open and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment